Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The One Year Mother Daughter Devotional by Dannah Gresh

When I read the title of this book, I thought it would be a good way to connect with my oldest daughter. Yet, when I opened the package that contained this free read, I realized right away that Gresh's devotional would be more appropriate for much younger girls - born in the 50s! Though it's idyllic to wish for such innocence in our teenagers, I need a devotional without the flowery frills, one that cuts right to the heart of the pressing issues facing today's youth.

It's a Candy Land devotional more appropriate for elementary or early middle school girls. It would be ideally suited for homeschool tweens who have not been corrupted by the societal and cultural norms impregnating public schools. I could simplify the language and use it with my five-year-old. But like the dreamy white picket fence, The One Year Mother Daughter Devotional only traces a hedge of spiritual protection around her. It's not solid enough to stand on it's own. With the exception of the Bible, no book can. To be fair, the only claim this book makes is that "after 365 days, mother and daughter are sure to see a difference in their relationship." Is this a good resource to strengthen our bond? Perhaps in the same way a slice of processed cheese is a good source of calcium. Quick, easy to swallow. As a supplement, it's a spiritual snack. I was looking for a mother daughter home cooked meal. Still, I might use this devo when I need a stencil to start real conversation.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my review.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Thanks for your review of this book. I'm a publicist at Tyndale House and although you didn't like Dannah's devotional, I wanted to suggest maybe you read Sandra Byrd's London Confidential fiction series with your daughter. I don't know how old your daughter is, but this series is great for tween and teen girls. Even though it's not a devotional, it's a great way to open up the doors of communication on those tougher issues you're talking about. Savvy, the main character, is 15 and all four books in the series show her learning how to live our her faith in relation to friendships, family, boys, and her own ambitions/desires. Focus on the Family did a review of the first book, "Asking for Trouble:" http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/protecting_your_family/book-reviews/a/asking-for-trouble.aspx

The latest two books, "Don't Kiss Him Goodbye" and "Through Thick & Thin" are going to be out next month (October). I'd encourage you to check them out.